DATE OF BIRTH: 6/10/1987 - NATIONALITY British/ Canadian
W: kirstennewellindiandance.com - E: email@example.com
Self Employed – Bharatanatyam dancer, teacher, choreographer and Siva Nanda Hatha Yoga Instructor. Work closely alongside Dance Ihayami (Scotland’s Indian dance company) – July 2013- present.
DANCE Qualifications and Awards:
- BA/First class Bharatanatyam Graduate, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chennai, India, 2009-2013. Main subject: Bharatanatyam. Secondary subject: Carnatic Vocal. Yoga, dance, theory, heritage, history, Folk dance and two years of Kathakali training.
- Siva Nanda HATHA Yoga Teacher training course 2013, Sivananda Ashram, Himalayas, Netala, India
- Member of the of the International Dance Council CID-UNESCO - 2017.
- Hidden Idol, London Dec 2014, First prize winner.
- Diploma in contemporary Indian dance at Attakalari Center for movement arts in Bangalore, India, 2007-2008. Classes in Contemporary technique, Kalari, Bharatanatyam and Yoga.
- RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) ISTD Intermediate Ballet 2007, Edinburgh.
- ISTD Intermediate exam in National Dance 2000
- One year certification course at Dance for All, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2006-2007.
Techniques studied: Ballet, Jazz, Contemporary, Modern, national and Tap.
Broughton High School, Edinburgh, Specialist Dance Unit from 1999-2003.
Techniques studied: Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz, tap, Modern. Received Higher SQA qualification in dance.
Solo Performances and choreography Projects:
- Choreographer and dancer for ‘The Indian Connection’ in collaboration with Cameron Newell and Vibhinna Ramdev – Edinburgh Fringe Festival, August 2017
- Dance residency with Vyuti dance company in Bangalore, India. Summer of 2017
- Performance at India Habitat Centre, Delhi, India, with Vyuti Dance company, August 2017.
- Choreographer and dancer for ‘Celtic Treasures, lost and found’, Isle of Iona, Scotland, June 2017.
- Interfaith collaboration with Sufi contemporary dancer, Improvised movement for a documentary - Heartbeat foundation, October 2016
- Visual Arts Film production ‘Elements’. Collaboration with band ‘Sanna’ in Edinburgh. December 2015
- Vision Mechanics Production ‘Embrace’. Autumn 2014. Toured in Scotland. Choreographed the Folk Dance, Bharatanatyam dance, contemporary dance and movement for silhouette puppetry for this production. Embrace 2014.
- Several Performances at The Hindu Temple, Edinburgh University ( Interfaith, Diwali celebrations 2013-2017)
- Heads Up’ at Dance Base during the Edinburgh Fringe August 2013. Kalakshetra Items.
Main dance productions with Dance Ihayami:
- ‘Silent Space’ Production, Autumn tour, Scotland 2016/2017
- ‘Silent Space’ Edinburgh Festival, Dance Base 2016
- ‘Masala’ Edinburgh Festival, 2016
- ‘India Flamenco’ at Alba Flamenco Aug 2013 and 2014.
- ‘Blue Lotus’ Botanical gardens, Edinburgh.
- Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter production. 2013/2014
- Various performances at Dance base Edinburgh, Melas, social gatherings, commonwealth etc 2013 – present.
Main Bharatanatyam classes:
Edinburgh Bharatanatyam Classes with Dance Ihayami 2013 - present
Bharatanatyam classes for children and adults
Theory Classes for grades (OFAAL)
Outreach Projects: Outreach projects from 2013 to 2017 have included dance with elderly, primary schools, and secondary schools, workshops with carers, disadvantaged communities, children and adults with learning difficulties.
- Lunch time Yoga for students and staff of Edinburgh University at Edinburgh University's Chaplaincy, Potter Row, 2013-present
- Adults Evening Yoga, Stockbridge House, Cheyne Street, 2015-present.
- Yoga for staff – Broughton High School, Edinburgh – 2016 till present
HIGHERS: BROUGHTON HIGH SCHOOL 2004
Philosophy B, Drama studies B, Media studies B, Art and design B,